Monday, October 22, 2012

Forty Eight

It Gets Better.

Tonight I had the privilege of attending Elon's benefit show for the It Gets Better Campaign.  I don't know if I can put into words just how much pride I have for the university that I recently graduated from and the amazing student body that is still inspiring the masses.  If you don't know "It Gets Better" is all about reaching out and bringing a positive message to the LGBTQ community and letting those people know that it does get better and that all the bullying and hate that they may receive will stop and life will get better.  For me, this is one of the most important causes to be a part of.  I can not and will not ever understand anyone showing hatred towards another human being, especially when the only reason for the hate or harm is because of their sexual orientation.  

Love is what drives our lives - everyone is entitled to love whomever they choose.  It's not up to any of us to judge those around us or to tell someone they are wrong.  If you read my blog or have read it before you know that I am all about Jesus.  It is because of my love for God and his love for me that I support the gay community.  Jesus doesn't call us to love everyone except the gays - NO, he says to love your neighbor as yourself.  Whether that neighbor is white, black, blue, gay, straight, transgender.  God's love is for everyone and I believe that if Jesus were walking around today he would be embracing those in the LGBTQ community, telling them that he came to earth for them as well and that they were loved unconditionally.  No scripture I've ever studied tells me to hate my gay brothers and sisters or anyone for that matter.  It is my job to love every single person I can and to make Jesus famous.  And those two things, I try to do everyday.  

My opinion is only my own, but I just can't understand how anyone who claims christianity can hate anyone, ever.  I'm proud of the students at Elon who refuse to sit silent while their friends are suffering. I'm grateful that I was able to spend two hours hearing testimonies from gay students and allies encouraging those in the room that it does get better.  And I'm forever appreciative for the passion I have been given for the stage and the power it has to transform lives.

If you're still reading this just know, I love you, and it does get better, I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment